The saying “less is more” applies to photography just as much as everything else in life. Neutral background images can be great for situations where you want to create visual interest, but don’t want the photo in question to steal the party. This is why ocean images are so popular in business communication. But look closely and you will see that neutral images are far from bland. In fact, they are often interesting enough to stand as works of art on their own. Browse any art museum and you will see neutral-looking works everywhere. With that in mind we encourage you to revisit any preconceptions about the meaning of “neutral” and browse our compilation below with an open mind.
- 1 Blue Ocean Photo by Manu-Schwendener
- 2 Blue And Pink Sea by Harli-Marten
- 3 White Flowers Photo by Kalle-Kortelainen
- 4 Silhouette of Trees by Freestocks
- 5 Time Lapsed Photography of Cumulus Clouds by Anthony-Cantin
- 6 Bird’s-Eye View Photography of Mountain by Carolinie-Cavalli
- 7 Shallow Focus White Flowers by Aaron-Burden
- 8 White Staircase with Pink Background by Max-Ostrozhinskiy
- 9 Black Background Texture by Mike Jones
- 10 Underwater Photography of Water Bubbles by Sime-Basioli
- 11 Pink, Yellow, And Purple Cloudy Sky by Ferdinand-Stohr
- 12 Flowers Beside Yellow Wall by Mona-Eendra
- 13 Focused A Snow Flake by Aaron-Burden
- 14 Calm Sea Water by Linda-Xu
- 15 Neutral backgrounds: Going beyond the ordinary
Maybe it’s just us, but we could gaze at this neutral blue ocean image for hours. There is so much to see in this work!
Sunsets may seem blaise among seasoned photographers, but a good artist always sees something new in the everyday. Such is the case with this blue and pink sea image by Harli-Martin.
These snowflakes look almost like white flowers— hence the name “white flowers.” This image is perfect if you need a nearly white background photo but still want to provide some level of visual appeal.
Another gorgeous sunset photo.
Blue skies and water provide the perfect tones for neutral backgrounds as you can see in this image of both.
Photographers often use bright exposures and sun glare to wash out colors, creating a more netural look.
Neutral images come in many colors besides blue.
Black is a neutral color, too.
Water drops and bokeh are also common ways to enhance a neutral look in a photo.
We love the purple hues of this photo by Ferdinand-Stohr.
Abstract gradients such as this rural wall make for perfect neutral art.
Another snowflake image.
This photo by Linda-Xu is particularly hypnotizing. One can look down and ponder on the deep depths of the ocean. Or one can look up and explore the heavens of the earth.
Neutral backgrounds: Going beyond the ordinary
As you can see, neutral backgrounds take a variety of forms. We also invite you to explore more images on Wunderstock– the images listed here are only a small part of our collection!