Users of Google Docs often complain that they cannot move images once inserted into a document. Although this document suite has many time-saving features, it does not have very advanced features for moving images. It is easy to make a mistake and be unable to move an image. Here’s how you can move images in Google Docs and exactly what you should do if you can’t move an image in Google Docs:
How to Move an Image in Google Docs
These are the standard instructions for moving images in Google Docs.
- Click the image and make sure the mode is set to “Wrap Text”
- Move the image with the right or left-arrow keys on your keyboard, or use your mouse to drag-and-drop it into place
- Hold the Shift key to move the image slowly with more precision
This should get you going, but some users may still be unable to move images. Don’t worry, it happens to everyone.
What if I can’t move an image in Google Docs?
Sometimes it can happen in Google Docs that you can’t move an image for one reason or another. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Double-check and make sure that the image is set to “Wrap Text” (pictured above)
- Make sure “Move with text” is selected and not “Fix position on page”
- If the image is in a header (top of page) or footer (bottom of page), you must first double-click this area before selecting the image
- Make sure the image is small enough to fit in the area you would like to move it. You can’t shift a picture that takes up the entire margin left or right
- A bug or Google Docs issue could be the reason. Close your window and open a new Google Docs session if you still are not able to move the picture
In addition to moving pictures left, right, up, and down, you may also want to move pictures forward or backward. This can be useful if you would like to place other elements over the image or if you want to cover elements with the image. Unfortunately this functionality is not yet available in Docs.
You can also right-click on an imagee and choose “Image Options” to explore other possibilities for modifying the image.
Moving Images in the Google Docs App
The process for moving images is slightly different in the Google Docs app, but still very simple:
- Hold your finger on the image to select it
- Press your finger and “hold” the image
- Drag the image with your finger to reposition it
Moving images in Google Docs is not always as straightforward as it should be, especially if you are a new user or migrating from Word. But it is still relatively simple to do once you know the steps. A little bit of patience pays off!